Tuesday, April 6, 2010

SpunShine is born







I am starting this blog to detail my account of my fiber obsession and how it has grown from a small basket by the side of the couch to the huge out of control monster it has become today.

I have decided that my obsession of knitting and spinning is not enough, along with running a house and 3 kids, and after not very careful consideration have decided to dye my own fiber and yarns. I have done a little in the past but now want to go and see if I can sell what I make. I love how the colors in your mind can make plain yarn and fiber sing.

So where am I in the process. I have decided on a company name, I have made roads though not completed the application for DBA and hope to finish that this week. I have the forms ready to go for the sellers permit and application for Id number for sales tax.

I have even started to get some stock together. This morning dyed up 3 different fiber colors and yesterday some small sample skeins of yarn about 20 yrds each.

The yarn was done in mostly purple and yesterday was not sure I liked it today after putting it back into tiny skiens it looks great.

The fiber were done in "strawberry lemonade", "sour apple green candy", and " Berry Blast" all currently drying in the California sunshine, they look great vibrant and exciting.

I also have about 4 ounces of merino top on the wheel and hope to be able to take that off maybe tonight or tomorow. In a gorgeous Muberry wine color shot through with blues and maroons. It is spinning up about a lace to light fingering and will be plied with itself to make a fingering to sport weight.

So thats today and waiting on delivery of more yarn and a couple more dyes to get me going I hope to achieve more later this week.

Am also excited to be attending the CNCH.org this weekend in hopes of finding some fun fibers for handspinning.

I am looking forward to keeping this updated with regular additions and hope to be able to get my online sales up and live with in 6 weeks or so.

1 comment:

  1. the top one looks like watermelons in summer, love the purples and pinks in the middle one and I can see the bottom one as something for Spring!

    ReplyDelete